Welcome to the world of travel sketching. This is not a typical art class as you know it. We take you from foundation skills to advanced in how to see and to sketch an impression that’s your own.
Our Travel Sketching classes
Intro to Travel Sketching
If you’ve never travel sketched with us before, start here. Classes offered in Manly, Rose Bay and The Rocks.
Courses for our ongoing students. We progress our learning in watercolour and other mediums and techniques. We always have surprises thrown in. Classes offered in Manly and The Rocks.
Sydney is one of the worlds’ most scenic cities and our Sydney Adventure class invites you to discover it anew with Sketcher Eyes. Course runs every Wednesday in a different Sydney city location.
Timetables for Term 2: April 24th – June 30th
To get the best experience of travel sketching we’ve designed course that run over consecutive weeks. Each class is carefully designed to build on the last. If you’re interested in one off experiences head on over to our workshops.
Intro to Travel Sketching
10 weeks – $395
10 weeks – $395
8 weeks – $ 375
5 weeks – $245
Casual – $49 for returning students
Thursday Watercolour Workshop – 3hrs for experienced sketchers – $49
Email Erin directly to book and for payment details
A note about make up classes
We understand life can get busy so we offer make-up classes.
These are ideally taken within the same week so you don’t miss new steps. However you are also welcome to take any Intro or Travel Sketching class (in any Sydney location) within the term. Do let your tutor know.
How to book
- Enrol – Complete our BOOKING FORM here
- Pay – Your invoice & confirmation is emailed to you with bank transfer details
- Connect – if you’re a new sketcher, we’ll be in touch to say hi and answer any questions you might have about your first class
If you’re planning to book more than one type of class please contact us directly.
What to bring
- For Introduction course – Erin Hill sketch kit
- For Travel Sketching course – your own choice of mediums and sketchbooks
- Money for lunch or a coffee
- Water to drink and in your waterpot.
- Umbrella/warm layer if it’s cold/rainy
- Foldable stool (optional)
- A smile
Upcoming term dates
Term 2 2018 – April 24 – June 30
Term 3 2018 – July 17 – September 22
Term 4 2018 – October 9 – December 15
More info on our courses
Intro to Travel Sketching Courses
- If you haven’t sketched with us before, this is the start of your journey.
- Anybody can learn to sketch with the ErinHill approach.
You may or may not have previous art experience, but this is where you start your journey.
- Leave your fears at the door, this is a safe space.
- We will show you step by step how to go about it.
- We’ll be teaching you the foundation skills of Travel Sketching in courses or Workshops, along with our unique ways of using colour.
- Over the weeks we cover the following:
WEEK 1. Seeing shape
WEEK 2. Applying Colour the EHS way
WEEK 3. Water and Sea
WEEK 4. Watercolour Introduction
WEEK 5. Flat perspective & colour
WEEK 6. Eye level perspective and architecture
WEEK 7. People and figures. Etc etc.
WEEK 8. Sketching from memory
WEEK 9. Classic everyday shapes
WEEK 10. Review of techniques
- You’ll have your first sketch within an hour.
- After 10 weeks you can join a Travel Sketching class which continues your journey of observing the world around you, and colour applications. We work to a program where you learn something new each week.
- We have a custom designed Sketch Kit to get you started.
Travel Sketching Courses
- Travel Sketching Courses are for those who’ve completed an Intro Course and for our regular and long term sketchers.
- In Travel Sketching courses we branch out to use a number of mediums and mixed media with our sketches to create exciting effects. We also work on creating a journal of your adventures so you’ll always have a forever memory of those special times and places.
- We use watercolours in different ways along with other mediums. Perfect for those who love trying techniques and wish to learn more. Use the EHS kit or your own. Needs to be portable of course.
- Our courses are perfect for the long term regular sketcher who wants to continue learning and take their sketching to the limit and beyond. Many love the sociability you’ll discover within the groups. You never stop learning and having fun.
Sydney Adventure classes
We don’t need exotic locations overseas to practice our travel sketching skills. Sydney is one of the worlds’ most scenic cities and our Wednesday adventure class invites you to discover it anew with Sketcher Eyes.
Colour, architecture, flora and fauna, cafes, views- both iconic and quirky, every week we meet somewhere different, every sketch stretches your creative and observational skills just that little bit more within a small, like-minded group. Nowhere is off limits and location suggestions are always welcome.