Welcome to the world of travel sketching.
At Erin Hill Sketch School we take you from foundation classes to a confident and ongoing sketcher ready to get your impressions wherever in the world you are.
Our Travel Sketching classes
Intro to Travel Sketching ( For new students)
If you’ve never travel sketched with us before, start here. Classes offered in Manly, Rose Bay and The Rocks.
Travel Sketching (For ongoing students)
Courses for our ongoing students. We progress our learning in watercolour and other mediums and techniques. We always have surprises thrown in. Classes offered in Manly and The Rocks.
Sydney Adventure (For ongoing students)
Sydney is one of the worlds’ most scenic cities and our Sydney Adventure class invites you to discover it anew with Sketcher Eyes. Course runs every Wednesday in a different Sydney city location.
Dates & Timetables for 2018
We are currently in Term 2 (April 24th – June 30th) – View current timetable
Term 3 – July 24th – September 22nd (9 weeks) – Timetable coming soon
Term 4 – October 9th – December 15th (10weeks)
Intro to Travel Sketching Course
$360 for 9 weeks + $150 for (EHS Sketch Kit )
$40 per class (returning students only)
Pick between 1-9 classes.
How to book
Bookings for Term 3 will be available from Saturday 16th June
To receive a reminder just make sure you’re subscribed to our weekly newsletter here
What to bring
- For Introduction courses, the kit will be waiting on your first class – Erin Hill sketch kit
- For Travel Sketching course – your own choice of mediums and sketchbooks
- Money for lunch or a coffee
- Water to drink and in your waterpot.
- Umbrella/warm layer if it’s cold/rainy
- Foldable stool (optional)
- A smile
More info on our courses
Intro to Travel Sketching Courses
- If you haven’t sketched with us before, this is the start of your journey.
- Anybody can learn to sketch with the ErinHill approach.
You may or may not have previous art experience, but this is where you start your journey.
- Leave your fears at the door, this is a safe space.
- We will show you step by step how to go about it.
- We’ll be teaching you the foundation skills of Travel Sketching in courses or Workshops, along with our unique ways of using colour.
- Over the weeks we cover the following:
WEEK 1. Seeing shape
WEEK 2. Applying Colour the EHS way
WEEK 3. Water and Sea
WEEK 4. Watercolour Introduction
WEEK 5. Flat perspective & colour
WEEK 6. Eye level perspective and architecture
WEEK 7. People and figures. Etc etc.
WEEK 8. Sketching from memory
WEEK 9. Classic everyday shapes
WEEK 10. Review of techniques
- You’ll have your first sketch within an hour.
- After 10 weeks you can join a Travel Sketching class which continues your journey of observing the world around you, and colour applications. We work to a program where you learn something new each week.
- We have a custom designed Sketch Kit to get you started.
Travel Sketching Courses
- Travel Sketching Courses are for those who’ve completed an Intro Course and for our regular and long term sketchers.
- In Travel Sketching courses we branch out to use a number of mediums and mixed media with our sketches to create exciting effects. We also work on creating a journal of your adventures so you’ll always have a forever memory of those special times and places.
- We use watercolours in different ways along with other mediums. Perfect for those who love trying techniques and wish to learn more. Use the EHS kit or your own. Needs to be portable of course.
- Our courses are perfect for the long term regular sketcher who wants to continue learning and take their sketching to the limit and beyond. Many love the sociability you’ll discover within the groups. You never stop learning and having fun.
Sydney Adventure classes
We don’t need exotic locations overseas to practice our travel sketching skills. Sydney is one of the worlds’ most scenic cities and our Wednesday adventure class invites you to discover it anew with Sketcher Eyes.
Colour, architecture, flora and fauna, cafes, views- both iconic and quirky, every week we meet somewhere different, every sketch stretches your creative and observational skills just that little bit more within a small, like-minded group. Nowhere is off limits and location suggestions are always welcome.