Combine your passion for sketching, culture and great food in these wonderful 3hrs Sydney excursions. Get travel sketching in your own city!
Your expert guide
Who better to take you on a sketching safari of Sydney’s multicultural foodie highlights than ex-chef (for over 25 years!) and sketching guru Anna Barnes? Each month Anna picks one of her favourite Sydney spots to explore with our eyes, sketchbooks and our bellies. No previous sketching experience needed.
Upcoming dates & destinations
- June 25th: Cambodian – Cabramatta – Open for bookings
- July 30th Vietnamese – Cabramatta
- August 27th: Malaysian – Chinatown
- September 17th: Korean – Eastwood
- October 24th: Indian – Harris Park
- November 26th: Vietnamese – Cabramatta
Cost & bookings
$65 per class (3hrs)
$25 Mini Sketch Kit (Optional) – includes our recommended sketch notebook, pens & aquarelle colour pencils
Classes are limited to a small group size (5pp max) and fill up quickly.
Book your place with Anna here
Got a question? Get in touch: email@example.com
What to expect on the day
- Your tutor Anna greets you at 10.30am (You’ll be notified beforehand)
- First stop, we visit vendor for a beverage or light snack that is unique to our cuisine. This is where we will do our first sketch of our food items- quick lines and simple colour to capture the essence of the moment.
- Next we take a foot tour through the local markets of the area while discussing the cuisine and culture of the country. Anna will point out the unique ingredients and cooking implements of the cuisine. This is your chance to purchase those hard to find ingredients, and even ask Anna about your recipes for the cuisine we are focussing on.
- A sketch capturing the impression of the market is a must
Lastly, we take a light lunch in a restaurant that may be a local favourite, a little unusual, or showcase a particular region or style of the cuisine. We do our final sketch over lunch and look at how to capture the essence and energy of a restaurant scene with colour and composition.
What to bring
- Your own A5 watercolour sketch book or purchase our Mini Sketch Kit with your booking
- Black sketch pens various sizes
- Watercolour paint kit if you’re a regular EHS sketcher
- Rain gear if weather looks iffy
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Portable folding stool (optional)
- Cash for lunch & snacks (makes bill splitting a breeze)
- A cooler bag for your fresh food purchases
- And of course smiles and willingness to try something new & fun!
Not included: Your travel to meeting point, drinks, fresh food purchases and lunch.
The Erin Hill difference
We started out in Manly 7yrs ago and have perfected an approach to sketching that keeps it simple, fast and free. We’re not your typical art school, we focus on easy to learn techniques, fast impressions and finding your personal style. It’s about letting go and enjoying the image you capture.
Our previous Sketch & Lunch tours
May 2017 – A taste of Vietnam
June 2017 – Try something from India
August 2017 – Korean food taking Sydney by storm
August 2017 – Chinese regional specialties
September 2017 – Malaysian heady delights
October 2017 – Vietnamese delights