Welcome! We are proud to offer you sketching classes & workshops in the scenic Blue Mountains. Our passionate tutor Anna Barnes hosts classes in a variety of wonderful sketching locations unique to this area.
About travel sketching
These are not your traditional drawing, illustration or painting classes. This is sketching – a simple impression, as you see it in the moment, no matter how wibbly wobbly! We focus on easy to learn techniques, fast impressions and finding your personal style. It’s about letting go and enjoying the image you capture.
Our Blue Mountains Travel Sketching offerings
Intro to Travel Sketching course (8 weeks)
If you’ve never travel sketched with us before, start here.
Travel Sketching course (8 weeks)
Courses for our regular students who return term after term. Every class is different you learn new tricks and techniques each week with a few surprises thrown in.
Travel Sketching workshops
Get a taste of Travel Sketching in a one day workshop and learn some of the basic skills.
Your tutor – Anna Barnes
Anna is the Director and principal tutor for the Blue Mountains region. She has long been a traveller and sketcher (and trained chef) with a great interest in recording her journeys visually. She now brings that passion and skill as an experienced Erin Hill Tutor to the the Blue Mountains.
Anna also lead our highly successful Vietnam Sketch Holiday in December 2017.
Course term dates & timetables
To deliver the best experience of travel sketching we’ve designed classes that run over consecutive weeks (typically 8-10 weeks). Each class is carefully designed to build on the last. We run courses 4 times a year, roughly in step with school terms.
Term 1, 2018 – Jan 30th – March 20th – Fully booked
Term 2 2018 – May 1st – June 19th – Accepting bookings
Term 3 2018 – July 24th – Sept 11th
Term 4 2018 – Oct 9th – Nov 27th
Timetable for upcoming term:
Tuesdays – Intro to Travel Sketching – 9:30am-12:30pm
Thursdays – Travel Sketching – 9:30am-12:30pm
Workshop dates & times
Sunday 10th June – 10am – 3pm
Sunday 12th August – 10am – 3pm
Sunday 14th October – 10am – 3pm
Sunday 2nd December – 10am – 3pm
Courses and workshops start either in a local cafe or in our home studio at Wentworth Falls. However as we focus on ‘plein air’ or ‘on location’ sketching expect to visit one or more magnificent Blue Mountains locations each class or workshop.
What to expect…
There are 2 parts to all our weekly classes, although we may vary the plan depending on location and weather.
- We begin in a cafe for a coffee and catchup, with warmup and technique sketches.
- Go out on location sketching our subject of the week.
We work through a program over the term to give you the core skills needed. You’ll also learn to apply colour in a very simple way. Rather than teaching you to paint, we show you how to apply loose colour to achieve a confident sketch.
- Your tutor greets you at 10am at arranged location (studio or cafe)
- Your loaned Erin Hill sketch kit is waiting for you – containing sketch pens, aquarelle watercolour pencils and watercolour paints and brushes
- Meet fellow workshoppers, a small group of maximum 8
- Tea or coffee over a bit of an overview by your tutor
- Start with a ‘How to See’ sketch
- Go ‘plein air’ and start sketching on location around the Blue Mountains
- Stop for lunch at a local cafe about 1pm – complete our colour from location sketches and begin a new food sketch
Intro & Travel Sketching course – $375 for 8 weeks
$150 for Sketch Kit (one-off cost)
Sunday Sketchers workshops – $150 (Includes lend Sketch kit)
How to book
Other sketch experiences Anna offers:
Sketch & Lunch Day Trips, western Sydney
We have a wonderful way to combine your passion for both sketching and great food, and perhaps just enjoying the cultural side. Last Monday of each month.
January 29th: Vietnamese – Cabramatta February 26th: Malaysian – Chinatown March 26th: Korean – Eastwood
- May 9th: Indian – Harris Park- book here
- May 28th: Japanese – Sydney Fish Market
- June 25th: Cambodian – Cabramatta
- July 30th Italian – Haberfeild
- August 27th: Lebanese – Punchbowl
- September 17th: Chinese – Burwood
- October 29th: Turkish – Auburn
- November 26th: Vietnamese -Cabramatta
For enquiries and bookings: email@example.com